Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What I Understand

Apparently, I'm closer to 40 than 30 now. I'm not saying I'm old, but when I was 16, anyone who ever uttered the phrase "I remember when you were born" to me was considered old. I've said it. Many times. Think what you will . . .

I also remember being extremely annoyed by any statement that declared I would "understand" anything when I was older. After more life experience. Blah, blah, blah.

Uh, yeah. Insert embarrassed chuckle. Those folks (yup, I said folks) were right. 'Cause I'm older now. And I agree. See how this works, youngsters?

I've learned more about me, others, life, what's important, and what's just not, in the last few years than I learned in my first 3 decades. So, watch me impart my wisdom (if that's what you'd like to call it), in no particular order. :)

1. Happiness comes with experience - a lot of which really sucks.

2. Kids - especially your own - hear every word you say. And lots that you don't. Be careful with them. They are scary little beings.

3. Find a job you like. Even better if you love it, but we can't all rate the best beaches in the world and get paid for it.

4. Always, always, always tell the people you love that you love them. Every chance you get. Then tell them again. And again.

5. If you lose track of old friends, find them. It will be worth it.

6. Before freaking out about anything, determine whether what has happened will really matter 10 years from now. If not, it's not that important.

7. Be kind to people. They will remember. And you may be the best part of someone's day - every day.

8. Don't waste your days. We all look forward to things down the road. But your road may end sooner than you think. Make each day matter.

9. Giggle. Especially with kids. And friends. Laugh until you cry. This is the best kind of laughing. Especially when you're in a completely inappropriate place for laughter. (You're remembering the last time you did this now. And you're laughing). :)

10. Watch people. They're crazy. And it's fun.

11. Do something once a month that you've never done before. I added this one recently, thanks to a fairly amazing person I know. Great move.

12. Travel. Travel. Travel. And, oh yeah, travel.

13. Saving money is good. But don't save and save and save and miss out on doing something incredible because you might spend a little money. You don't get your days back at the end.

14. Do not worry about what other people think.

15. Ask for advice from people you trust, then listen to it. Even if you ultimately decide it's not the best for you, really listen to it.

16. Eat dessert. Duh. 

17. Smile a lot. Then giggle. And laugh.

18. Be thankful for what you have.

19. Go to Hawaii. I know - this is very specific. And I already included travel. But seriously, go to Hawaii.

20. Love yourself. After all, you're pretty awesome.

21. Life is hard. What's your alternative? Uh-huh. Life's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. love this! and since i am younger that you i shall consider myself a 'youngster' and take your word :)

    ReplyDelete