Eleven years ago, it was just February. The shortest month of the year - even when we get to add an extra day. But ten years ago - February changed. For me. And for my family. My sister had triplets. All boys. Boys that were supposed to be born in May. Born, instead, in February. They had 2 different birthdays. I didn't even know that could happen, but I didn't know a lot about preemies back then. My first nephew (K) was born on the 6th. My second (L) & third (B) were born on the 8th. B got his angel wings on the 10th. K got his angel wings on the 21st. L - he turns 10 this year.
I lived blocks away from my sister when the boys were born. I worked blocks away from the NICU where L lived for his first 4 months of life. I visited him over my lunch hour almost every day. I was the first to hold him after his parents. And I will never forget - it felt like holding a blanket. He was so tiny. He had everyone in the family wrapped around his little finger. Me - yeah, he still does. I love him (and his sister, who arrived the following year) so much. And I miss his brothers so very much. Every first he's had - I think of them. Every sad moment. Every happy moment. Every - moment. I wish they could have stayed.
So, February's tough. It got tougher a few years ago. Again. For other reasons. I just don't like February.
Last year, I tried to head it off. I posted something on Facebook in January about the coming month - hoping it would be a good one. On February 4th, 2012, my pastor and his wife - both very good friends of mine, were killed in a car accident. They left 4 kids - from junior high to just out of high school. That would hit hard anywhere. But in our small, tight-knit community, it was a huge, devastating loss.
I don't like February.
This year - I'm expecting bad news. Every bad thing that could happen, I'm afraid will happen - in February. I'm not trying to have a negative outlook, but after 10 years it's hard to not want to zip through the upcoming 28 days with my eyes closed.
This morning, our pastor's sermon was on Matthew 6:25. Do Not Worry. Okay, point taken. But that's like telling someone not to look at something when it's right in front of them. They will look. I will worry.
No grand conclusions in this post. Nothing other than hoping February surprises me this year. I've specifically planned fun into it, much like I've tried to do 9 other years - maybe minus 1. May February bring a wonderful 10th birthday party for a fabulous nephew, wonderful memories of loved ones, good times to remember next year, and nothing out of the ordinary. Amen.
I don't like February.
This year - I'm expecting bad news. Every bad thing that could happen, I'm afraid will happen - in February. I'm not trying to have a negative outlook, but after 10 years it's hard to not want to zip through the upcoming 28 days with my eyes closed.
This morning, our pastor's sermon was on Matthew 6:25. Do Not Worry. Okay, point taken. But that's like telling someone not to look at something when it's right in front of them. They will look. I will worry.
No grand conclusions in this post. Nothing other than hoping February surprises me this year. I've specifically planned fun into it, much like I've tried to do 9 other years - maybe minus 1. May February bring a wonderful 10th birthday party for a fabulous nephew, wonderful memories of loved ones, good times to remember next year, and nothing out of the ordinary. Amen.
I too hold my breath in February. Would be nice if this one would hold a treasure.
ReplyDelete