So this post has been bouncing around my head for months. Sometimes, I'm just not sure how to adequately express what I'm thinking or feeling without a little (or a lot) of time to get it "in order". I'm hoping that my thoughts here don't offend, but they are - regardless - my thoughts. And it is my blog. So . . .
I'm not quiet or shy about the fact that I'm divorced. I may have been for awhile. Not anymore. If you don't like that, that's okay. I don't apologize for being divorced. And, although I don't list that club membership on my resume, it doesn't really bother me anymore.
I'll tell you what else doesn't bother me:
That the munchkins are loved by A LOT of people. Most of them, I know. Some of them, I don't. They have a mom, a dad, a step-mom, a soon-to-be step-dad, a sister, another sister-to-be and brother-to-be, grandparents galore, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and on and on and on.
I've gotten the feeling (or been told directly) that a lot of people think we put on a good show. That we don't really all get along. That we couldn't possibly like each other.
I smile. I laugh. I let them think what they want. Here's the truth:
If someone is nice to me and loves my child and treats my child like she deserves to be treated, I will like him or her. Who they are, where they are from, who they are related to, or friends with, or married to, or anything else, does not matter to me. Not one little bit. No, it hasn't been that way forever. But it sure is now.
I am proud of the fact that my daughters have a family that is big and loves them unconditionally. And, maybe more importantly, likes and respects the other members of the family. I know this isn't possible for all families. I get it. Everyone has to actively participate in this kind of situation for it to work well. And, we all do. Every single person.
We are not perfect. But we try really, really hard to put those little redheads first. If it's best for them, we choose that answer.
My wish is that more families could try to look at the aftermath of broken marriages, with children, like this. Blended families aren't easy. It's a choice to make them work. But they are so worth it when everyone buys in for the little members that matter the most.
Thank you to my big family. All of you. The munchkins thank you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment